Simon Armitage has a poem, You’re Beautiful, I’m Ugly. This could be about a date.
For a while I ordered the Barhi, Honey Dates, and Golden Princess online. Then I got tired of paying shipping on those so I tried the Medjools at Adams Fairacre Farm in Poughkeepsie and discovered they carry a damn fine date.
I eat them plain. I eat them with cheese, I eat them with nuts. Last night I served them to my guests with salted pecans. Heaven. The left overs were for breakfast this morning which is when I shot the picture above.
Medjool Dates stuffed with Salted Pecans
- Turn oven to 350.
- Liberally smear butter on a baking sheet
- Put a single layer of pecans on top
- Liberally salt with a good sea salt (Maldon is good because of the big flat crystals that are easy to crumble and sprinkle at the same time)
- Cook for 10 minutes, stir and check and toss some more salt on if you like. Cook until ligthly toasty brown. Check often so they don’t burn.
- Let cool.
- Slice dates, remove pit, stuff pecan into date and eat.