It is really simple and really good. Kale lasts a lot longer in the fridge than lettuce so during the winter, I especially like to keep it. The picture above show radicchio which I added because I happened to have it and it gave pretty color.
- 1 bunch Kale (thick stems removed) laciano, purple whatever looks best and tender
- 2-3 Tbs Pine nuts or small handful walnuts, lightly toasted in oven or stovetop, chop walnuts if using
- 3-4 Tbs dried currants or cranberries
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or shallots)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 3 Tbs rice wine vinegar (or any light white vinegar)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Grated Pecorino, Parm or crumbled blue cheese.
Stack the kale leaves on top of each other (this is a very loose interpretation of stacked). Roll it best you can then slice very thinly across the “log” of kale.
On med heat warm the olive oil until little bubbles show up (4 min), add garlic, turn off heat, stir let sit.
Put kale, nuts, fruit into salad bowl. Add vinegar to oil, add pinch of salt, few grinds pepper. Take a piece of Kale taste dressing, it may need more vinegar. Add 1/2 dressing to the salad and toss, taste, adjust with more dressing or salt or pepper. Add cheese last. Serve.
Depending on the bunch of kale and how many people, you’ll need to add/subtract a little. Hope it is great!!!