I mentioned Leslie Land’s intensely delicious roasted tomatoes in the ragu recipe. Well, I decided to see what would happen if I used that roasting method for creating a savory apple sauce. It worked, with the added bonus of being a beautiful pink-tinted color – providing you are using red-fleshed apples.
Heat oven to 375
- Slice apples into quarters for small apples and then halve the quarters if they a monsterous apples.
- Line a jelly roll sheet with parchment and spread a little butter on it
- Add the apples packing them in there fairly snugly
- Dot apples with butter
- Sprinkle a little salt on them
- I the apples are tart, drizzle some maple syrup on them
Load into the oven and cook until they are all mushy and easily collapsible. Then on the larges hole setting on your food mill, run the apple sauce through it.
For a Chunky Sauce
- Peel and core the apples before you put them on the sheet
- When they are fully roasted, crush them up with a fork.